1. The name of this branch of the Industrial Workers of the World shall be
Sacramento Valley General Membership Branch (GMB).
2. Membership shall be by voluntary association of IWW members in good
standing; however this body shall encourage local autonomy by spinning
off new Industrial Union branches wherever and whenever possible.
3. These bylaws shall be available to every IWW Sacramento Valley member
as soon as possible upon initiation.
1. Members are subject to all constitutional provisions set forth in the
constitution most recently ratified and amended by the membership of the
Industrial Workers of the World.
2. The Branch Secretary-Treasurer shall be responsible for providing a
current membership list to any member in good standing who requests it
unless individual members request to be unlisted on the Application for
Membership form at the time of initiation or any time thereafter.
1. The branch shall elect a Branch Secretary-Treasurer and Delegates.
The Sacramento Valley GMB may create and elect any other officers
by proposal and vote, and each additional officer shall be subject to the
provisions of this article.
2. All officers and delegates must be members in good standing of the
Sacramento Valley GMB. If any officer falls more than two months behind
on his or her dues, they shall be given the option of catching up or being
3. Elections for branch officer positions will be held annually. Elections will
be conducted by regular vote at a scheduled branch meeting. Elections will
be announced at the branch meeting two months prior to the election and
at the branch meeting one month prior to the election. This announcement
will be included in the minutes of those meetings. Announcements of the
election will be mailed to each eligible voter, at least one month prior to the
4. Eligible voters shall include all members in good standing of the IWW
Sacramento Valley GMB. Voter eligibility is determined by the records of
the Branch Secretary-Treasurer. Members in good standing who are not
able to attend the business meeting when the election is to be held shall
have the right to vote by proxy for any eligible candidate, provided they
give their vote in writing on paper, email, or by fax to the BST the day
before the election.
5. Any member in good standing can nominate an IWW member, including
one’s self, to GMB officer positions at any business meeting for the last
election. Nominations require a second but do not require a vote. All
members with seconded nominations shall be considered in the election.
1. Officers elected on an annual basis shall serve 13 months from the date
of their election. The final month of their term shall therefore follow the
election of their successors. During this month they shall continue as
authorized officers of the branch, with the primary duty to train in their
2. There shall be no limit to the number of terms served. However,
consecutive terms will not be allowed for the position of Branch Secretary-
3. Unfilled positions may be assigned to willing volunteers at a regular
scheduled branch meeting. Special elections, referenda, ratifications, and
recall elections may be called for by any eligible voter willing to give
proper notice to all eligible voters.
4. All elected roles are accountable to the membership and subject to its
guidance, democratically decided instructions, and progressive discipline
up to and including recall.
5. Branch Secretary-Treasurer: Maintains a record of meeting minutes
including a written record of meeting decisions and proposals. Helps draft
communication with members, potential members, and supporters. As
spelled out in the IWW constitution, the Secretary-Treasurer is responsible
for producing monthly branch reports, collecting monthly delegate reports,
distributing branch funds, submitting financial reports to GHQ and the
branch membership. Also responsible for checking the IWW Sacramento
Valley official email account. Attends monthly meetings of the IWW
Sacramento Valley GMB whenever possible.
6. Delegates: (see also the IWW Delegate Manual) Signs up new members,
takes dues, maintains regular contact with members and other fellow
workers and attends monthly meeting of the General Branch Meeting.
Listens for and, when appropriate, helps solve problems, sometimes by
means of a grievance process, sometimes by more informal means. Submits
reports and dues to the Branch Secretary-Treasurer(s) monthly – preferably
at the Delegates Committee meeting or the meeting of the GMB. As many
delegates are elected as needed (preferably one delegate per 10 members).
Attends monthly meetings of the IWW Sacramento Valley GMB whenever
possible as well as all special meetings.
7. All IWW organizing campaigns that wish to use GMB bank accounts to
manage their finances shall be permitted to do so, provided that the co-
signer from the campaign is an officer of the GMB in good standing.
1. IWW Sacramento Valley GMB meetings to be held monthly.
2. Rusty’s Rules of Order shall be used to organize decision-making.
3. Meetings must be publicized to members at least by email and preferably
also by face-to-face contact and telephone.
4. Not less than five members shall constitute a quorum for the transaction
of business by the general membership branch and its recognized
committee(s). The transaction of business includes official motions and
the disbursement of branch funds. Any paid official of the IWW shall not
count as a member for the purposes of quorum, in keeping with the IWW
5. Monthly Delegates’ Committee meeting shall be part of the GMB meeting,
for the purpose of submitting reports and dues, planning local organizer
trainings, sharing information and organizing any other activity as directed
by the GMB. The Delegates Committee has no power to make or overturn
policy and/or decisions made by the GMB.
1. Voluntary payments, donations, and assessments are welcome and must be
accounted for, as must any other funds.
2. Branch accounts shall be available for inspection and audit by any branch
members within one week of request.
3. The fiscal year shall be from July 1st to June 30th.
4. In July there shall be an audit and report of the branch treasury for the
previous fiscal year. Three members invited by the branch shall conduct the
5. The Branch Secretary-Treasurer will be authorized to disburse funds less
than $30.00 at her or his discretion, which will always be set aside as petty
cash. These disbursements must be included in the Secretary-Treasurer’s monthly financial report.
6. Irregular disbursements in excess of $30.00 must be approved by a majority of branch members at a regular scheduled or publicized special meeting.
VII. Job Branches
1. Job Branches shall be formed when five or more members are working in
one workplace. Job Branches exist as the workplace organization of the
IWW. Job Branches shall report to the GMB about developments in their
workplace. The GMB shall support the efforts of Job Branches to the best
of its ability. Industrial Union Branches shall have their own autonomy.
2. Job Branches may elect Stewards and other officers as needed. Terms for
all officers will be for a set time and subject to recall.
VIII. Amendments to Bylaws and Policies
1. The branch can create and amend branch policies other than bylaws by the
simple majority of the branch at any regular monthly business meeting.
The Branch Secretary-Treasurer shall keep an up-to-date branch policy
document containing all current branch policies. This document shall be
given to any member in good standing on request.
2. Any change to the bylaws must be proposed at a regular monthly branch
meeting. Such changes are automatically tabled until the next regularly
scheduled branch meeting, at which point the proposals can be passed by a
simple majority of branch members in good standing.